Using The Service
NEECS has a self-referral policy for those living in the North East Edinburgh designated area.
For our service, please complete the online self-referral form. By providing details we consider this as confirmation you agree to us using them to provide you with the service you have requested. NEECS will only ever use your details for this purpose. All NEECS staff comply with NEECS confidentiality requirements.
When the waiting list for a service is open you can refer yourself for counselling. Before applying, please check your availability to attend matches NEECS' ability to provide counselling. For NEECS counselling times go to the Home page. Should your availability not match click on the Directory Link to your left or email us, via the Get In Touch link.
Unfortunately we are unable to advise how long you will have to wait for an initial appointment, but please be assured we will offer you counselling when we are in a position to do so. Once you have attended an initial assessment your following counselling appointments will be on the same day and same time each week, with each session lasting up to an hour.
The telephone is generally answered between 9am - 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 2pm on Friday. Any message left on the answerphone is responded to within these hours. At times, it may become necessary to put the answer machine on during these times. Please leave a message as we shall get back to you as soon as we can.
USING THE SERVICE
- Your residential address needs to be within our delineated catchment area of North East Edinburgh.
- Be clear which waiting list you would like to go on, either the Adult Service ot the Young Person' Service.
- We take a few details from you: name, age, address, postcode, contact telephone number and email address.
- We ask for your GP practice, where you heard about us, your availability to attend and whether you prefer a female or male counsellor, or have no preference.
- The information you give us is stored only in our office.
- We will not ask personal questions regarding why you are seeking counselling.
- If you need urgent help/support while you are waiting, please see "Other Sources of Help" on the Home Page.
- We refer you to the website for all information about NEECS provision.
- We are unable to say how long you will have to wait. However, once on the list we shall offer counselling as soon as we can.
- You will be contacted either by phone or email and offered an initial session.
- When making appointments we always ask clients to confirm they will be attending, in order to avoid further lengthy waiting times.
- Appointments will take place on the same day and time each week. We are not open at weekends or evenings other than a Thursday, where there is limited availability.
- At your initial appointment, your counsellor will explain and give you printed information about the service, appointment arrangements, confidentiality policy and about our contributions policy and Gift Aid. You will also be asked to provide confirmation that you understand why we need the details we have asked for, when they are used and how we store them.
Please read the following document to find out more about making a contribution to the running of the service: Making a Contribution